Jocelyn Marencik '23 BFA Art

Jocelyn Marencik 

BFA-Studio Art: New Media and Design, 

Minor in Computer Science 

Hometown: Glen Allen, Virginia 

What was it that led you to pursue a life in the arts? 

I have had an interest in computing, including both its logical programming side and its creative design side, for a large portion of my life. After taking several coding, web development, and digital arts classes in high school, I knew I wanted to continue on this path in college. 

Why did you choose UNCG’s College of Visual and Performing Arts? 

This is a community of kind people coming together to share their interests and to learn from one another. The university also has programs that focus on community service and offer volunteer opportunities at events, including the Leadership Challenge and the National Residence Hall Honorary. I also brought my initiative, Got Tec, which donates needed technology equipment to underserved and underfunded local schools, with me to the Greensboro area as part of my community service. 

You are also receiving a Minor in Computer Science. How does that fit with your Art degree? 

I am passionate about balance, and especially the balance between the logic of programming and the creativity of the arts, coming together to create digital interactivity. The Computer Science minor helped me think in a structured way and explore algorithms and logical processes that could be applied to creative projects, including web design and development, and online interactive experiences.

How was your experience at CVPA/UNCG a good fit for you? 

The courses I have taken within my New Media and Design major educated me on industry standards, such as the Adobe Suite, as well as other software including p5.js and WordPress. I have also improved my communication and professional skills, both verbally and through writing, including critiques and artist statements. 

What is your favorite thing about CVPA, UNCG, and/or Greensboro?  

I loved being able to find smaller groups within UNCG and the Greensboro community, that share interests and are willing to listen and give feedback to each other. In my freshman year, I was part of a living-learning community in my residence hall, focused on giving back, leadership, and attending volunteer opportunities. I have also participated in organizations over my years here, focused on academics like STARS (Students in Technology, Academia, Research, and Service) on visual arts, such as the UNCG Artists’ Guild, and on social communities, such as the UNCG Gaming and eSports Club. 

What are your future plans? 

After graduation I will be working for Genworth Financial, a company with which I interned this past summer. I’ll be on a Web Design and Development team as a part of Genworth’s IT Development Program.  

What is something you gained at CVPA/UNCG that you will take with you on your next step in your journey? 

I have learned to step forward and ask for feedback when possible. Hearing others’ perspectives is helpful with any project, including creative and programming projects. It may also lead to expanding my list of connections. 

What is your advice for current or future Spartans? 

Get involved as soon as possible, but also strive for balance and don’t overwhelm yourself! Look for smaller student groups within the larger community.  

and organizations that fit your interests best, both socially and academically. You’ll be able to make friends across majors and serve the UNCG community by volunteering together at events.   

Story by Terri W. Relos

Photo credit: Jocelyn Marencik