Transform. Explore. Inspire.
In the School of Dance at UNCG, we believe that the field of dance needs many different kinds of professionals with diverse strengths and points of view.
School of Dance Mission and Statement of Intentions
Within the context of UNCG’s comprehensive liberal arts curriculum, the School of Dance offers bachelors and masters degrees that provide specialized skills for a variety of careers in the evolving field of dance. The school’s primary goal is to teach students the imaginative, critical, and technical skills essential to the creative process and to scholarly inquiry. Our comprehensive curricula foster inclusive learning and intellectual curiosity framed by an engagement with cultural diversity, community outreach, and global issues as related to dance. The school prepares undergraduate and graduate students for further study and creating successful and productive lives as artists, educators, and scholars at the state, regional, national and international levels.
School of Dance Core Statements of Intention
- To deliver a curriculum that integrates teaching, scholarship, and artistry, and affirms the centrality of the body as a locus for knowledge, and the experiential basis for learning resulting in diverse outcomes
- To sustain a community that values individual and cultural differences, as well as co-existing artistic and scholarly perspectives
- To offer nationally recognized undergraduate and graduate programs that maintain a high standard of teaching
- To encourage faculty development in teaching, scholarly/artistic work, and leadership within the profession
- To engage in outreach to the community through public performances and other educational and artistic activities
Dance faculty are committed to supporting curricula that situates dance as a vital force within a liberal arts environment. Within the UNC System, the UNCG School of Dance is positioned as the training ground for the contemporary “thinking dancer,” who values the rigors of both physical and academic dance studies. As a school we celebrate a variety of approaches to dancing, making dances and thinking about dance as an investigative art form within cultural and social contexts. The University of North Carolina Greensboro is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD).
Performances & Events
Upcoming Dance Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.