We facilitate students’ journeys through our degree programs with common concerns: the lived experience of dancing, creative and critical engagement with performance and choreography as expressive mediums, and the development of the individual in relationship to community. We strive to develop the imaginative, critical, and technical skills essential to the creative process, scholarly inquiry, and professional engagement in the field of dance.
Our undergraduate degree programs combine a liberal arts curriculum with professional preparation for further study or for a variety of dance careers.
- Our BA in Dance offers a high level of contemporary dance training, with the opportunity for further degree study and licensure.
- Our BFA in Dance delivers intensive professional preparation for a career in dance and choreography, with a diverse, multifaceted curriculum focusing on creativity and performance in contemporary dance.
- Our BA and BFA in Dance Education complements our high-level training in contemporary dance and choreography with the development of a scholarly, reflective educator’s mindset, and the ability to design, develop and implement innovative dance education programs for a wide variety of audiences and settings.
Students in Dance enjoy opportunities to learn, interact and perform with internationally renowned artists. We strongly encourage our students to study abroad with our renowned international partner schools, experiencing dance in a global context, enriching their education and enhancing their artistic practice, in preparation for bold, dynamic artistic careers.
Why Choose Us?
The UNCG School of Dance is a collaborative, supportive and diverse program that includes dance training in a professional facility at a premiere College of Visual and Performing Arts within a Liberal Arts University.
Our program also includes:
- Highly qualified and trained instructors from professional backgrounds
- Professional studios, and sound systems
- Professional musicians during class to enhance the dance experience
- Opportunities to participate and earn credit in dance productions each semester
- Supportive Dance community atmosphere.
- Being eligible to apply for a dance scholarship every year in the program
- Convenient locker rooms and dressing rooms
- Semester long and short-term International Study Abroad programs.
- The opportunity to join dance clubs & our dance honorary fraternity
- University payment plan options
The School of Dance offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a research-intensive university setting. We strive to teach students imaginative, critical, and technical skills essential to the creative process, scholarly inquiry, and professional engagement in the field. At the undergraduate level, we combine a liberal arts curriculum with professional preparation for a variety of careers in dance. All programs prepare students for further study and for the task of creating successful and productive lives as dance artists, educators, and scholars at the state, regional, national, and international levels.