OVERNIGHT CAMP INFORMATION
Welcome to the Summer Arts and Design Intensive, the most creative, inspiring, and artistic journey at the UNC Greensboro campus!
A majority of campers stay in the UNCG dormitories during the program. This page provides information to help overnight campers and their parents understand the procedures for dropping off, checking in, and picking up their campers.
WHICH DORMS ARE BEING USED?
We do not know yet which dorms we will use this summer. We will be notified by the campus housing department around May. All of the dorm rooms are air-conditioned and shared with a roommate.
If you wish to room with a specific friend, you and your friend must request. We need both sides of the parent/guardian’s confirmation email to assign you and your friend to the same room. Students who register without a roommate request will be paired with a student of the same age group.
GETTING TO THE DORM FROM THE GATEWOOD STUDIO ART CENTER
Most dorms are within easy walking distance from the Gatewood Studio Art Center. Parents should assist with the “moving in” process. Also, please wear comfortable shoes and clothes, and bring an umbrella! Campus map here.
RECEIVE ROOM KEYS & ENTRY CARDS AT THE DORM
After you have gotten through the check-in process at the Gatewood Studio Arts Center, collect your luggage and belongings, and proceed to your dorm. You will receive a room key and an entry card from a Camp Site Coordinator at the lobby of your dorm.
SUNDAY NIGHT REGISTRATION FOR OVERNIGHT CAMPERS
Overnight campers should report to the Gatewood Studio Arts Center lobby between 2:00 pm and 4:00 p.m., park in the ground parking lot next to the building on the first evening (Sunday) of SADI. Campers should bring their completed medical form. Dinner will be served at the UNCG Dining Hall between 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm. After dinner, campers will participate in the SADI orientation at 5:30 pm and the first studio class starting at 6:00 pm in the Gatewood Studio Arts Center.
PICKING-UP OVERNIGHT CAMPERS ON FRIDAY
The campers’ parents, family, and friends are invited to the closing art exhibition celebrating the campers’ artistic exploration and creative outcomes. The art exhibition will be held at the Gatewood Gallery at 5 pm. Campers and their parents/guardians need to pack their luggage and return the key and the entry card before joining the exhibition. We will conclude the art exhibition and the closing reception at 6 pm. Parents should plan to pick up their campers, the artwork, and all other belongings starting at 6 pm.
- Return the key and the entry card to the Camp Site Coordinator at the dorm after packing up your luggage between 2:00 – 4:00 pm.
- A $20 key deposit will be refunded if you return the key and the entry card.
- Dinner will be served at the UNCG Dining Hall from 4:00 – 5:00 pm.
- The Closing Art Exhibition at the Gatewood Gallery from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
WHAT TO BRING TO OVERNIGHT SADI
- Beds are extra-length “twin” size 36″ x 80″. Two bedsheets, one blanket, one pillow, one pillowcase, towels, washcloths, band-aids, deodorant, and other personal toiletry items; a sleeping bag instead of sheets/blankets is optional.
- An alarm clock or alarm clock radio; you’ll need to get out of bed on time.
- A wristwatch is strongly encouraged; you must be on time for classes and events.
- Informal summer clothes for studios and enrichment programs, mostly shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers.
- Label your luggage with your name and address. (luggage tags or masking tape)
- A raincoat, umbrella, or jacket as desired.
- A small quantity of snacks is OK, but there are also vending machines.
- A modest amount of money for incidental purchases and refreshments. Change for the vending machines is helpful.
- Remember: A signed Medical Information Form and a $20 key deposit (no change anticipated) are required at check-in. The key deposit will be refunded when campers check out their dorm by returning the keys on Friday.