Jazmine Warren co-captain of the Spartan G dance team

“I have never had more of a passion towards anything else than being creative and dancing. I couldn’t see myself doing anything other than being an artist for the rest of my life. I have seen and met many people in my life who have had a successful career in the arts, and that’s given me the inspiration to give it a try.”

Jazmine Warren says one of the first sources of that inspiration is a UNC Greensboro alumna. Valencia Lipscomb (‘14 BFA Dance) was one of her teachers at Hillside High School in Durham. Warren says Lipscomb quickly became her mentor, and she recommended that Warren choose UNCG’s School of Dance.

Warren says she took that advice, and after being accepted by the university, a successful dance audition, and a tour of campus, she was convinced:

“My experience here was so good. This turned out to be the perfect fit for me because I was able to deepen my passion for dance on a whole other level. Not only did I have the opportunity to perform numerous times and choreograph my own piece, but I had access to the most beautiful and spacious studios!”

Warren also found good friends and other ways to explore her love of dance:

“I met my best friend Kerrington Palmer (BA Arts Administration) on the first day at a university event for first-year students. She encouraged me to try out for the Spartan G Dance Team (a group of UNCG students dedicated to performing throughout the volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball season as well as various special events during the academic year). We became co-captains our senior year!”

After graduation, Warren is planning to move to Atlanta:

“I’d like to pursue my dream career of being a professional dancer. To be more specific, I want to be successful in the commercial world of dance. This includes dancing for television shows, commercials, movies, music videos, and going on tour. I also love musical theatre and would like to also audition for some shows.” 

Warren says she feels ready because of UNCG:

“Something I’ve gained here is to never be afraid to ask for help. You never know how many doors and connections that could open up for you to be successful.”

Jazmine Warren’s advice for current and future Spartans:

“Please allow yourself to be open to new opportunities and experiences! UNCG has so many opportunities to meet new people, to have fun, to stay connected to cultural avenues, and to express your true self.”

Watch Jazmine Warren’s BFA Thesis here.

Learn more about studying in the UNCG School of Dance.

Story by Terri W. Relos

Photo credit: Josh Bell