Guest Artists and Lecturers
Every year the School of Theatre hosts international and national guest artists from every spectrum of professional and educational theatre to work closely with theatre majors and minors. Guest artists work on productions, develop new work, offer weekend workshops, or serve as semester long guest artist(s) in-residence. Recent guest artists include:
2019 – 2020
- Managing Director of Triad Stage since its inception. Rich earned an MFA in Theatre Management from the Yale School of Drama and has a BFA in Acting and Directing from Marymount Manhattan College. In 2007, Rich was appointed by the Governor to serve on the board of the NC Arts Council, where he is currently a member of the Executive Committee.
- Heather Clara Young has worked in the field of arts management for over twenty- five years. Her experience includes leadership roles with a variety of arts and heritage service organizations, theatre and dance production companies, galleries and museums, facilities, festivals and community organizations, in both professional and volunteer capacities.
- Multi-Emmy winning writer and producer of interactive entertainment and a pioneer of transmedia storytelling, with a track record of pushing the boundaries of next-generation entertainment.
Amy Da Luz
- Amy’s latest play, COMING BACK FOR ME, was recently selected for the 2019 UNCG New Theatre Concepts Lab. Amy joined the UNCG Theatre Department and other guest artists for a 10 day residency in August of 2019.
Kelvin Dinkins, Jr.
- Assistant Dean and Lecturer in Theater Management for Yale School of Drama, General Manager of Yale Repertory Theatre, Co-Chair of LORT Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Committee.
- Liz represents actors in projects such as Orange is the New Black, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Hairspray, The Following, Girls, Elementary, and Person of Interest.
- Forbes is the founder of Scenic Art Studios, Inc. which has become the premiere scene painting studio for Broadway Scenery. Joe also founded The Studio and Forum of Scenic Arts in 2004 where he still enjoys being an instructor. In May 2019, Forbes was selected as a recipient for the Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre
- Erica Jensen is one of three casting directors at Calleri Casting. Erica spent the 2004 – 2005 television season as the Talent Coordinator on Chappelle’s Show where she also did extras casting. She teaches on camera audition technique at various places throughout New York City and has taught playwriting and screenwriting at RISD. Erica directed the musical, Mother Eve’s Secret Garden of Sensual Sisterhood, which she also co-wrote and co-produced for the NYC Fringe Festival. Erica holds an MFA in Acting from Illinois State University.
- John M. Blackburn Distinguished Professor of Theatre, fully tenured professorship designed to attract exceptional faculty to Appalachian State University. Martin’s career spans over 35 years and includes producing, artistic direction, choreography, and management for professional theatre. Martin holds a BFA and MFA degree from UNC Greensboro.
- Barry Kornhauser spearheads the Family Arts Collaborative at Millersville University in Lancaster County, Pa. His honors include the Charlotte B. Chorpenning Cup Award, Helen Hayes Award for Outstanding Play, Ivey Playwriting Award, two AATE Distinguished Play Awards and the Bonderman Playwriting Prize. Kornhauser's work has taken him everywhere from a one-room schoolhouse to the White House and to such Tony Award-winning stages as the Children's Theatre Company, La Jolla Playhouse, the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, D.C. and the Alliance Theatre.
- Actors Equity Association, Agency Representative, NYC, Director
- Pearl Cleage is an Atlanta-based writer and playwright. She’s also a performance artist and frequently collaborates with her husband. The two have performed sold out shows. She’s a contributing writer to ESSENCE Magazine and in 1998 her novel, What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was an Oprah Book Club pick.
Fit for Broadway
- Fit for Broadway’s mission is to inspire wellness as a way of life for performers. Founded in 2014 by Jane Jourdan, Fit for Broadway online is a collection of conversations discussing lifestyle, Broadway, and more.
- Tarish Pipkins a.k.a. Jeghetto, was born in a small steel mill town called Clairton, PA located south of Pittsburgh, PA. He moved to North Carolina in 2005 where he launched his career in puppetry. In 2008 he started working with Paperhand Puppet Intervention. Most recently, Jeghetto had the pleasure to work with Missy Elliott on her music video, WTF (Where They From). He also worked on the Amazon Echo commercial featuring Missy Elliott and Alec Baldwin as puppets.
- Nancy Altschuler is the Director of Development for Godspeed Musicals. She is responsible for all aspects of fundraising for this $11M Musical Theatre Company including major gifts, membership, foundation, corporation, planned giving, and events.
- Laura Pappano is an award-winning journalist, community leader, and author of Inside School Turnarounds, co-author of Playing with the Boys, and author of The Connection Gap.
- Betty Siegel has specialized in the arts and disability issues for over 30 years beginning at Arena Stage in Washington, D.C. and now is Director of VSA and Accessibility at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. She oversees national and international disability, arts and education programs, and the Leadership Exchange in Arts and Disability.
2018 – 2019
- Chris Chalk is an American television, film, and theatre actor. He is particularly known for his roles in the film Detroit, and the television mini-series Central Park Five. He is also known as journalist Gary Cooper in The Newsroom, Marine Tom Walker in Homeland, and murderer Jody Adair in Justified. He has also been in multiple Law & Order episodes, the 2013 film 12 Years a Slave, and the 2010 Broadway play Fences. He has appeared in Gotham as a young Lucius Fox. Photo by Kristina Bumphrey/StarPix/REX/Shutterstock
Bill J. Adams, DMA
- Bill J. is an Art Song specialist, opera and musical theatre performer, and arts educator and administrator. Bill J is an Estill Voice International and Acting with Archetypes Certified Master Teacher. Presently, Bill J. coordinates the performing arts programs in the Department of Performing and Visual Arts at Nova Southeastern University where he is an associate professor.
- Broadway, Founder Scenic Art Studios, the premier scene painting studio for Broadway shows.
- CSA, Calleri Casting, NYC
- Executive Director, Goodspeed Musicals
- John M. Blackburn Distinguished Professor of Theatre, Appalachian State University, Career includes producing and management in professional theatre, dance, opera, symphony, film and television. Emmy® award recipient in 2010. Producer and Managing Director of Charlotte Repertory Theatre (LORT, 1990-2001)
- Associate Conductor, Hamilton Philip Tour New York: John & Jen (Off-Broadway revival), Carousel (Workshop at New York City Ballet dir. Michael Berresse), Atlantis (Reading dir. Chris Gattelli), Whiskeyland (Reading), The Lion King (Shanghai, Chinese language premiere), A Gentleman’s Guide To Love and Murder(Shanghai, Asia and Chinese language premiere).
- Director of Development – Foundation & Annual Giving, Gallo Center for the Arts, California
Stephanie Yankwitt, C.S.A.
- Multiple award-winning, internationally produced playwright, Medallion Award for Lifetime Achievement, Children's Theatre Foundation of America; Wiley and the Hairy Man, When She Had Wings, Step on a Crack.
- Award-winning writer of film and television. You and I, Drumline, That Darn Cat, Encino Man; supervising producer of Showtime's Weeds
- Tony Award winning producer of Come From Away, and Memphis. Also produced The Rink, and La Cage Aux Folles
- Actors Equity Association, Agency Representative, NYC, Director
- Award winning Actor, Director, and Screenwriter
- Brooklyn-based playwright and filmmaker awarded the Edward Albee Foundation fellowship, and is the inaugural recipient of the Peter Shaffer Award for Excellence in Playwriting
- Actor, playwright, musician, Jeff Award winner, two-time Drama Desk Nominee.
Ryan J. Moller
- New York based award winning Costume Designer. Credits include The Metropolitan Opera, Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS, Sante Fe Opera, Norwegian Cruise Lines. Member: USA 829, IATSE 764
- Founding Artistic Director Profile Theatre, Portland Oregon
- Producer, Stage Director, Abrahamse and Meyer Productions
Lauren Warhol Caldwell
- Artistic Director of the Hippodrome Theatre
Edurne Rankin García
- Artistic Director, Actor, Designer, La Llave Maestra Visual Theatre, Santiago de Chile, Chile
- Producing Director, STAGE ONE: The Louisville Children’s Theatre (Louisville, KY), 1978- 2003 (retired); Author
- Dramaturg, Advisor Tennessee Williams Festival, Pace University
- Playwright, Member New Dramatists
Alvaro Morales Lifschitz
- Artistic Director, Producer, Actor, La Llave Maestra Visual Theatre, Santiago de Chile, Chile
- Producer, Actor, Designer, Abrahamse and Meyer Productions, South Africa
- Theatre Arts Teacher, Actor, Director, Marvin Ridge High School, Union County Schools
- Wojcik | Seay Casting LLC, New York
- Stage and screen actress and singer. Recipient of the Tony Award for Drowsy Chaperone