CVPA ITC News
From UNCG ITS:
Due to an unanticipated number of Zoom meetings, UNCG is close to exceeding our allotted Zoom cloud storage. Consequently, Information Technology Services (ITS) will delete all Zoom cloud recordings that were created prior to September 1, 2020. The deletion will occur on Friday, December 11, 2020, and will ensure that Zoom cloud storage remains available for all UNCG users. Users that need to keep any cloud recordings that were made prior to September 1, 2020, should take the required steps to download these recordings prior to their deletion on December 11, 2020.
For more information visit the ITS News item on this subject.
UNCG ITS has posted a knowledge base article that outlines best practices for online assessments. As you transition to online assessment for the Fall 2020 semester end, this information may be useful during your preparation.
The article outlines the following areas:
- Choose a quiz format
- Maintain exam integrity
- Schedule exam and set a time limit
- Decide how to release grades
- Set up a communication channel
- Communicate with students
- Test exam beforehand
- Make a backup plan
Canvas Studio is a communication tool that allows instructors and students to actively collaborate through video and audio media. While Canvas Studio content can be shared with students and also used by students to submit assignments within Canvas, media created or uploaded to Canvas Studio can also be shared publicly among UNCG users and even those outside of UNCG.
Sharing Canvas Studio Content
- Begin by accessing the Canvas Studio library by selecting the Canvas Studio icon in the global navigation menu (left column of any page). When selecting this icon, the user is taken to the Canvas Studio Library where all of their uploaded and created content will appear.
- Hover the mouse over the video that is to be shared.
- Click the three vertical dots that appear in the bottom corner of the video thumbnail and select “Share Media” (continue below for the two sharing options)
- In the following dialogue box the default option selected is “Links”
- Clicking “Create a Public Link” will generate a link that is sharable publicly as well as embed code for embedding the content should that be the chosen way to share.
- The video will be viewable by anyone who has the link, but note, analytics and commenting are not available when sharing using this link with public viewers
- The second option that appears in the dialogue box after selecting “Share Media,” is an option to share with “People” in the existing organization (UNCG)
- Add email address of current UNCG users and then select whether they “Can View” or “Can Edit” as desired.
- Those users that have been assigned as having access can find the shared video by visiting their Canvas Studio library and then selecting “Shared Videos”
Adobe will cease to support or release any further update to their Flash media player beginning December 31, 2020. If you have Adobe Flash installed on your UNCG-provided workstation, ITS and Adobe are suggesting that Flash should be uninstalled.
The Production Studio includes three state-of-the-art production suites. Learn more on their website.
- A one-button video recording studio in which faculty plug in a USB flash drive, press record, talk to the camera, and then walk away with a video file
- A podcasting studio to create audio files and full-length podcasts
- A lightboard studio that provides a videographer and post-production capabilities
There is still time for faculty and graduate students to sign up for two Research & Application webinars with University Libraries:
- November 9th at 11am
“Free Data Visualization Tools for Your Research Toolbelt”
by Jo Klein, GIS & Data Visualization Librarian
- November 10th at 11am
“What we talk about when we talk about algorithms”
by Jenny Dale, Information Literacy Coordinator
These are 30 minutes and recorded and captioned for YouTube. Please sign up to receive a link to the recording if you’re interested.
GoLinks is the official URL shortener at UNCG. URL shorteners allow a user to create smaller, customizable links that are easier to read and can provide a link that is descriptive in nature to display the intended target.
Shortening a Link
Shorten this link
Note how the shortened link was customized to provide a description of the intended target within the text of the link. This is helpful when sharing the link since it is both easy to remember and provides insight to the user of what to expect when clicking the link. This is also advantageous when using links in marketing and general communication.
Adjust Link Targets
In addition, GoLinks allow users to adjust the intended target of the custom link. This can be helpful when using links in print materials that may need to be re-directed. The same link can continue to be used but the target can be adjusted to re-direct to different URLs as needed.
UNCG GoLinks Features
- Shorten a really long link!
- Make a link that’s easier to remember.
- All UNCG employees have the ability to create GoLinks.
- Change the target of the cutsom-created GoLinks.
- Real-time statistics for links (hit counts, visitor information).
- Shared ownership of links, allowing for delegation of management.
- “Modifiers” make it easy to track referral traffic (twitter, one website vs another, Facebook, email etc).
- QR Codes are automatically created for every GoLink.
- Ownership can be transferred easily from one UNCG account to another.
Adding eReserves to your Canvas course is a relatively simple process but does require some use of the raw html editor </> in Canvas.
Adding the code snippet to a page in Canvas allows students to see the eReserves in a Box widget where they can login and access the files. This code can be placed anywhere within Canvas where the rich content editor can be used, however, placing the embedded content within a Canvas page and positioned for easy access within a course Module is the best way to provide access to your eReserve material.
Further Examples of Placement