< Back to EDI Committee Page

Summary of CVPA EDI Meeting Reports from 2016 to 2020



September 23rd, 2016

  • Various committee charge and setup items were discussed including:
    • What constitutes a quorum
    • Format of committee charge
    • Name of committee
    • Term lengths
    • Vision for future of committee
  • Discussion of BIPOC student and faculty retention
  • Recommendation for committee members to view film “Agents of Change”
  • Election of chair


October 28th, 2016

  • Discussion of how to shape the committee focus for the 2016-2017 year
  • Discussion of search/hiring committees based on the Faculty Senate Committee on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion plans to develop a handbook designed to reduce bias in search committees.
  • Discussion of a mapping of UNCG’s Diversity Assets which will identify where on campus EDI work is being done, primarily in terms of curriculum.
  • The UNC System Strategic Plan draft has been shared, and a new UNCG plan will be shared with the campus soon. The committee decided to align its work with the campus plan as soon as available.






February 1st, 2017

  • Discussion of committee initiatives:
    • Committee agreed to develop a statement recommending that a more diverse panel of guests be invited to future arts summits
    • Committee agreed to use the funding offered by the Dean to develop a mini-grant program
    • Discussion about the Deans “Grow Your Own” idea
  • Discussion about developing an EDI page within the CVPA website
  • Discussion of the Provost’s Handbook- agreement was reached that a bulleted list of concerns would be submitted to the Provost’s office with an invitation to discuss in-person at a later CVPA EDI committee meeting.

March 8th, 2017

  • Chair of CVPA EDI committee now has Canvas access for announcing events that support diversity efforts on campus
  • Report on Faculty Senate meeting:
    • Julie Mendez-Smith presented diversity course inventory
    • Provost’s office is updating the student evaluation document (SRI) to add uniform questions that will be asked of every course on campus. The committee anticipates some opposition to the validity of the uniform assessment.
    • Diversity Coordinator: Not all units within the CVPA have a “point person” for EDI efforts. Discussion of whether to appoint someone from each school.
  • Mini-Grant update: Grants are more or less approved
  • Additional request from the Dean: A call for proposals for an event led by the History Department on the history of Charles Aycock and the UNCG Auditorium. He is interested in committee involvement to be sure that EDI issues are included and CVPA is represented
  • SafeZone: Agreement to invite Elliott Kimball to a meeting soon to discuss how to move toward a proposal for mandatory SafeZone training

March 29th, 2017

  • Agreement to adopt a rubric for EDI mini-grants. Committee also agreed to add language into the call for next year to limit applications to those supporting underrepresented groups
  • Committee agreed to create a structure for representation at Faculty Senate EDI meetings
  • Update on SRI Initiative- in a regrouping status until Fall 2017. The committee hopes to re-engage with this initiative when it resurfaces
  • Committee agreed to hold one more meeting in the spring semester with Elliot Kimball to learn more about SafeZone training and work toward a plan of action for SafeZone events within the CVPA.
  • Discussion of how to seek connection with other CVPA committees and entities to encourage EDI discussions within the CVPA, but outside the committee.

April 19th, 2017

  • Joined by guests Jeff Aguiar and Elliott Kimball to discuss next steps for enhancing the campus climate in the CVPA.
  • Next steps as a result of this discussion:
    • Invite Elliott to visit an early faculty meeting in fall semester
    • Develop a statement about what the committee is trying to do in order to communicate intentions and build trust
    • Build and share an anonymous feedback form with faculty, staff, and students

October 18th, 2017

  • New intros for new academic year
  • EDI committee agrees to all participate in Bias training
  • Elliott Kimball from Office of Intercultural Engagement will conduct SafeZone/TransZone training geared towards CVPA faculty
  • Mini grant kickoff info for new year

December 8th, 2017
  • Finalization of mini-grant proposal language
  • Discussion of possible student involvement on CVPA EDI committee
  • Finalization of EDI feedback form to go out to CVPA faculty, staff, and students
  • Finalization of dates for Elliott Kimball to lead SafeZone training in each school within the CVPA
  • Discussion of new GEC curriculum overhaul, focusing on EDI issues
  • Update from Faculty Senate EDI committee






April 18th, 2018

  • Confirmation that Dean has included EDI budget requests in documents to Provost
  • Mini grant update: 10 applicants and all should receive something
  • SafeZone training update: Would like to expand for ’18-’19 Academic year and improve
  • Job Searches/Postings:
    • Committee would like to develop a few “standard” questions regarding EDI for CVPA interviews
    • Direct recruitment to diversify the candidate pool where able
    • Add a statement regarding UNCG being a Minority Serving Institution to all CVPA announcements
    • Would like to make it standard that individuals from outside a school serve on a search committee

August 30th, 2018

  • Discussion of membership and charge- decision to revisit at a later date
  • Agreed upon initiatives for fall:
    • Centering student perspectives- plan to organize students to make a presentation offering their perspectives and sharing their needs
    • SafeZone Training- expansion of last year’s trainings. Strategies discussed to help maximize attendance
    • Engaging in the Dean search
    • Assisting standing CVPA committees
  • Additional/Possible initiatives:
    • GEC feedback
    • Faculty searches- have committee membership serve an advisory or oversight role in faculty searches

September 24th, 2018

  • Addition of student representatives
  • CVPA Dean search- discussion on how to ensure the candidates’ commitment, expertise, and track record of doing EDI work. What to require in the application? What questions to ask of semi-finalists and finalists.
  • Faculty Senate EDI Committee update
  • GEC Revision Taskforce update
  • Raising Student Voices project update
  • Discussion of expansion of mini-grants to include student projects
  • SafeZone training update

October 22nd, 2018

  • SafeZone trainings have occurred in all schools
  • GEC Revision Taskforce update
  • Centering Student Perspectives update
  • Search committee updates- current policy only requires committee members from outside searching department for Associate and Full Professor level, not for Assistant searches. EDI committee has concerns regarding current policy and how to better facilitate diversity in faculty hiring. Concerns will be presented to the faculty
  • Mini-grant call has not been issued yet. Committee will confirm with Dean’s office that support still exists for initiative

November 19th, 2018
  • Discussion of ongoing concern about search committees—what accountability is there for search committee makeup? It is a large and systemic problem that needs to be addressed.
  • GEC Revision Taskforce- Committee will build a document with EDI-specific feedback to pass on to GEC. It is not yet clear what the diversity component will be in the new GEC requirements.
  • Discussion of recent EDI issue that arose in School of Theatre and how to appropriately support.
  • Mini-grants are indeed available again at $10,000. Committee will produce an amended call for proposals (this time including students) by December 1st.





February 14th, 2019

  • Specific requests made to GEC Revision Taskforce to remove/change language that centers the majority group and extends colonialist thinking
  • Update on Centering Student Perspectives initiative
  • iBelong student survey- discussion of whether the committee is actually responding to what students want and need. Feeling is that an open forum may be too dangerous/vulnerable for students

April 10th, 2019

  • Update on GEC Revision- the process has been transparent and often advantageous, but also contentious at times and time consuming. It’s nearing the end.
  • Mini-grant update: 11 proposals, including 9 from students. All were recommended for funding or partial funding, and the Dean expects to approve the committee’s recommendations.
  • Change to committee governing documents- revision of language to retain an Arts Administration position and add 2 graduate students
  • Discussion of how to get student perspectives most effectively represented to committee
  • A committee has been formed to create a UNC System-wide committee on diversity and inclusion

September 19th, 2019

  • Committee discussed, minimally revised, and approved “Successful Practices for Faculty Searches” resource
  • Committee discussed procedures for appointing CVPA EDI Committee members to Faculty Search Committees.
  • Committee determined procedure for review of Job Announcements





September 11th, 2020

  • Discussion of EDI Committee charge to consider expanding the language to improve how it communicates the Committee’s purpose to the CVPA
    • Student membership discussed again. Previously, student involvement was unofficial given that student membership is not listed in the committee charge
    • Staff participation on committee discussed as well
    • These issues come with complications- different schools within the CVPA have different relationships/histories with EDI and student involvement/need would vary
  • Discussion of CVPA EDI website- what to include and how to create
  • Plan for current year- committee will choose one project as a focus for the year and choose “on deck” projects for the future
    • Additionally, since each school has different needs and activities in progress, the committee will solicit one project from each school that the EDI Committee can support
  • Discussion of the relationship between the EDI Committee and the Dean’s office

October 16th, 2020

  • Revisited the revision of the CVPA EDI charge:
    • Slight wording changes
    • Additional clarification added on mini-grant process
    • Addition of points regarding transparency (posting reports and maintaining website)
    • Addition of language on how we serve students
  • Website
    • Ideas from committee- added to shared drive. Discussion of all aspects of website
    • Work plan setup, target date for completion is early April
  • Discussion on how to handle mini-grant process in the future and what the distinct responsibilities of the Committee and the Dean’s Office will be
  • Advice/Recommendations for Schools within the College

November 30th, 2020
  • Website check-in
    • Not much work has begun- first drafts are due December 15th and given current faculty workloads everyone will get to their assignments closer to the due date.
  • UNC System and University EDI update:
    • Much of the work is being done on a local/school level which results in a lack of shared values.
    • UNCG Equity Task Force will present findings in January. Centered on a qualitative study around the experiences of BIPOC students/faculty/staff on campus.
  • Reports from committee representatives from schools within the CVPA
  • More detailed discussion of current EDI challenges within the School of Music