A. Lawrence Jenkens
Art - Associate Dean
220 Music Building
Lawrence Jenkens joined the School of Art in 2010 as Head, coming to UNCG from the University of New Orleans where he was a professor and chair of the Department of Fine Arts. His research has focused on the art and architecture of fifteenth-century Italy and particularly in Siena and Naples. He has taught all aspects of Italian art from the late medieval period through the Baroque. More recently, Professor Jenkens has become interested in the role of the visual arts in the redevelopment and renewal of depressed urban neighborhoods. As such, he was the founding director of the UNO-St. Claude Gallery, the only off-campus university gallery in New Orleans and located in the recovering St. Claude-St. Roch neighborhood.
Professor Jenkens's research interests lie in the art of the Italian Renaissance with an emphasis on fifteenth-century architecture in Siena. He has published a number of articles in this area, most recently in the Bulletino Senese di Storia Patria (2001) and The Burlington Magazine (2002). In addition to these essays, Professor Jenkens has served as co-editor of a volume of papers in honor of Professor Richard Krautheimer's 100th birthday (1997) and as editor of a volume forthcoming from Ashgate Press on the art of the Renaissance in Siena. His book, Constructing a Dynasty: The Buildings of Pius II and his Family in Siena 1459-1510, is currently being revised for publication in 2003. Professor Jenkens is also a frequent participant at national and international conferences having delivered papers at the College Art Association (1993, session chair 1998), the Renaissance Society of America (1997, 2000, 2003) and the Society of Architectural Historians (2001).
Professor Jenkens was the recipient of an NEH Fellowship of College Teachers (1997-98) and more recently, a residential fellowship at the Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies (Villa I Tatti) in Florence, Italy (2001-02). His most current research interests focus on the avenue of cultural exchange between Central Italy and the Kingdom of Naples in the fifteenth century.