Explore your Creativity and Artistic Potential at UNCG
Artist-in-Residence, July 9-14
Registration Starts on February 1st
Grades 8 - 12, Grade Completion
Inspired high school artists are invited to participate in motivating, diverse, and innovative arts experiences at the UNCG Summer Arts & Design Camp 2017. During the interdisciplinary camp, the UNCG faculty and staff of Visual Art, Media Studies, and Interior Architecture departments, Weatherspoon Art Museum, and UNCG art education counselors work closely with campers to encourage being creative as they learn and experiment with new concepts, materials, and techniques. Campers are able to produce portfolio-quality artwork in a university environment that offers state-of-the-art studio facilities and resources.
The UNCG's Interdisciplinary summer Arts & Design Camp offers various visual art studio courses, filmmaking and interior architecture classes including individual and group studio art activities, self-guided open-studio sessions, museum based art enrichment activities, as well as curating student art exhibition complete the program for this art-entertaining week. A visiting artist talk by nationally known contemporary artists and Weatherspoon Art Museum visits & activities enrich the college level studio experiences. The camp ends with a closing art show in the UNCG Gatewood Gallery for the artists-in-residence, families, and friends.
During the UNCG Summer Art Camp, students will experience self-motivated artistic journeys to foster their creativity, critical thinking and problem solving skills. Under the exceptional leadership and guidance of the art faculty of the UNCG Art Department, students will grow as potential artists.
Dr. Maria Lim, Coordinator
UNCG Summer Arts and Design Camp
138 Gatewood Studio Arts Center
Greensboro, North Carolina 27402-6170
Phone: (336)334-5248 or (336) 256-1171 or (336) 772-4767
Email UNCG Art Summer Camp
Click here for the UNCG Summer Arts & Design Camp application form (pdf)
Click here for the UNCG Summer Arts & Design Camp Brochure (pdf)
See photos of last year's Art Camp HERE.
When: Sunday, July 9th - Friday, July 14th
Where: Gatewood Studio Arts Building (527 Highland Avenue, Greensboro)
Who: 8th - 12th graders in the 2016-2017 academic year. However, 7th graders are allowed to join with a letter of recommendation from their school's Art Instructor
Check-In is on Sunday, July 9 between 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- All campers, both commuters and residents, along with their parents/guardians must report to Gatewood Studio Arts Building Atrium for check-in. Following check-in, the first day of camp schedule will begin and day campers will be dismissed at 8:30pm from the Gatewood lobby.
Check-Out is on Friday, July 14 - 8:30 p.m.
- Check-out procedure will be announced at the time of check-in.
Artists-In-Residence will choose which studio classes they'd like to attend for each time period throughout the week (morning, afternoon, and evening.) Campers will also participate in various art enrichment activities on campus. This 'studio elective' program is different than previous years, and gives artist's the opportunity to cater their camp experience to their interests.
Artist-in-Residence Studio Program
- Advanced Drawing
- Painting & Mixed Media Collage
- Digital Photography
- Digital Graphic Design
- Animation and Time-Based Media
- Introduction to Interior Architecture
Art Enrichment Programs
- Contemporary Visiting Artist Talk
- Dance and Visual Art Collaboration
- Weatherspoon Art Museum Tour & Interactive Program
Closing Reception/Art Show:
The closing art show and public reception will be held on Friday, July 14, from 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm in the Gatewood Gallery. Beginning at 8:30 pm, campers will pick up their artwork and depart from the camp.
What To Bring For All Overnight Campers
- Two bed sheets, one blanket, one pillow, one pillow case, towels, washcloth, and other personal toiletry items. (Optional: sleeping bag instead of sheets/blanket) Beds are extra-length "twin"size 36" x 80".
- An alarm clock: you will need to get out of bed on time.
- A wristwatch: you must be on time for classes & activities.
- Casual summer clothes for studio classes
- Appropriate attire for Saturday art exhibition reception
- Label your luggage with name & address
- A signed Medical Information Form, and $20 key deposit (refundable) is required at check-in.
- Money for snacks & other needs
*$50 off for Early Registration made by February 28th
Plan 1: Commuting Day Camp $500 Includes 11 meals, studio instruction, art supplies, art exhibition and art enrichment activities.
Plan 2: Residential Camp $600 Includes 16 meals and a double occupancy dorm room for the week, studio instruction, art supplies, art exhibition and art enrichment activities.
*$60 deposit is required to hold your place. $60 deposit will be non-refundable. All accounts must be paid in full by June 1, 2017.
Cancellations & Refunds
You may cancel your application for Summer Arts & Design Camp and receive a refund, minus the non-refundable $60 registration deposit only if the request is made two weeks prior to the camp. No money will be refunded for any reason after the two week deadline. Students arriving late for camp or leaving early are not eligible for monetary compensation. The Camp Membership is not transferable to anyone else, and the $60 registration deposit is not refundable for any reason. If you are placed on a Waiting List, your deposit check will be returned. Studio classes are subject to cancellation due to low enrollment.
How to Apply
Mail it in with payment to:
UNCG Summer Arts and Design Camp
PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Phone: 336.334.5248 - 336.256.1171