Where are they now?
The 1999 UNCG Jazz Ensemble
From the desk of Steve Haines
People often ask me what happens to our jazz graduates. An angel today left this picture of my first jazz ensemble at UNCG. Here is a rundown of what they are up to professionally:
- 1st trumpet player from left, Josh Davies is a music professor at the University of Lethbridge.
- 2nd trumpet player from the left, Mike Hengst is a professor at MSU Denver.
- 3rd trumpet player from the left is Steve Sutton, who plays and teaches music full time.
- 4th trumpet player from the left is Richie Woodbury, can someone tell me where he works for Google in New York City, and performs frequently with the Greenwich Village Orchestra.
- The 1st trombone player from the left is Hoyt Andres, who is also a music professor at MSU Denver.
- The 2nd trombone player from the left is Jason Miller, who is happily married to the lady he met in the band, Stacey Wilson, see below (they have a baby!) Jason works at Elisabeth morrow school in Morrow School in Englewood, NJ in the music and technology departments, and freelances all over the place.
- The 3rd trombone player from the left is David Sonnenberg, who still plays, and is proprietor of the Sonnenberg Creative Group, a marketing and branding company.
- The 4th trombone player from the left is Brian Thacker, who is a music/audio technology professor at Texas A&M University.
- The 1st saxophone player from the left is Jesse Krebs, who is a music professor at Truman State University.
- The 2nd saxophone player from the left is Stacey Wilson, who is a full time musician in the West Point Concert Band, teaches adjunct at Montclair State University, and tours with her Saxophone Quartet.
- The 3rd saxophone player from the left is Johan Eriksson, who is a full time music professor at the University of Montana.
- The 4th saxophone player from the left is Adam McCord, who plays regularly and recently moved from Indiana University to Winston-Salem as his wife recently earned a new job.
- The 5th saxophone player from the left is Damien Ryder Storm, who is a full time software programmer, and still plays quite a bit, including stuff with Bump City, an uber funky band.
- The bass player is Will Postlethwait, who is actively playing in the Durham area.
- The guitar player is Ross Lafleur, an ASCAP award-winning artist who is actively playing, and doing his Ph.D in Psychology.
- The drummer is Max Wood, who works during the day, and plays many times weekly. He often tours, most recently with Sumi Tonooka.
- The piano is Keven (not a typo) Spargo, I have no idea where he is or what he's doing, can someone let me know how he's doing?
As this was my first band at UNCG, I must say that the success of these people is greatly influenced by the majesty of Craig Whittaker, my predecessor, musician in arms, and friend.
- Steve Haines, August 2014