Cross-listing allows you to move section enrollments from individual courses and combine them into one course. This feature is helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location. Instructors can allow students to view users in other sections or limit them to only view users in the same section. Section names do not change when they are cross-listed; the section is just moved to another course. The following information was adapted for UNCG from Instructure Canvas Guides.
Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.
Courses in Canvas contain one or more “Sections.” To view these sections click Settings (left navigation list) and click the “Sections” tab at the top of the page.
When combining courses, the courses are, in fact, “cross-listing” one Section into another course shell. In essence, one course section is removed from its current Canvas course and placed into a different parent course shell.
Follow the steps below to cross-list a section in Canvas:
- Identify the course that will be the “parent” (typically the lower-number course is a good rule of thumb). The course SIS ID will be used in this process. Find the course SIS ID by navigating to “Settings” within the course and the SIS ID appears in the list of Course Details (the page that appears once “Settings” is clicked). The SIS ID is a three-segment ID formatted in this way: COURSE___######___#####. Copy this course ID to the clipboard.
- Next navigate to the course that you would like to combine with the parent (typically the higher number), and find the section that is contained within. To do this, click Settings and then on the resulting page click “Sections” at the top of the page then click on the blue link to the section.
- Once you’ve done this, you should see “Cross List this Section” at right, and clicking on that will bring up a popup.
- Paste the ID you copied in step 1 into the first field. Canvas will search for the parent course, and list it below. Click on it to select.
- Once you’ve confirmed, click the blue “Cross-List This Section” button in the popup. Repeat for any other course(s) you want to include in this combo, making sure to use the same parent Course ID each time.
- After cross-listing, some instructors opt to change their course name and course code to something that more accurately reflects the combination. For example, if you combined MUS 101-01 and MUS 101-02, you might change the course name and code to MUS 101-01/101-02, or simply MUS 101 instead.
More information about cross-listing courses can be found here.